Saturday, December 18, 2010

Leuven Part 2

Here are some pictures from the rest of our time in Leuven. Thursday while Chris was at the conference, I explored Leuven by myself. I went to St. Michael's Church which is supposed to be one of the seven wonders of Leuven and then back to St. Peters to take pictures of the interior. I then went back to the Coffee Cup and read more of my book The Son Avenger by Sigrid Undset. Then I headed back to Ben and Keri's place. Keri was having a neighbor over for lunch so I ate with them and we chatted for a while. Then Keri and I headed out in the icy rain to go see the grand beguinage (which was a community of unmarried semi-religious women made in the 14th century) and to get some hot cocoa.



In Belgium they give you a cup of warm frothy milk and then a stick with chocolate on it that you swirl into the milk. So you make it as chocolatey as you like. It was really good! Then we stopped for some Belgium waffles which they eat here for a snack or dessert. It was delicious!


Ben and Chris came back from the conference and we headed out in the snow for dinner.




This poor woman was getting drenched! 

We went to a  unique restaurant where we ordered two whole chickens to be split amongst the four of us. Then we had to eat the chicken with our hands. No forks or knives allowed! The only other food item we were given with our meal was bread, to sop up the yummy juices from the chicken. It was really good!


We headed back over to the Christmas market where Chris and Ben got waffles.


And we listened to a band. They were singing Mumford and Sons (but I don't think it was them :)!


Above are Keri and Ben. Ben was at the University of Virginia but now is transferring to Leuven to finish up his PhD there. 


Did I mention that Stella beer is brewed here in Leuven? It's one of my favorites.


We traveled to Leuven la Neuve where I was able to see Chris read his paper on Michel Henry. It was an interesting conference. Most of it was in french because while in Leuven at the Katholieke Universiteit they speak Dutch, on their campus in Leuven la Neuve they speak French. On Chris's panels, they read in french, english, italian and spanish! Chris did a great job!


We then headed back to Brussells and then back home to Paris. 



I am almost finished with The Son Avenger and highly recommend it (as well as the three volumes building up to it)!

1 comment:

  1. We were there a little less than a year ago! Aren't those waffles divine? We loved Belgium! Love sharing a place with you. :) Much Love to you and to Chris.

    ReplyDelete