
But - back to the sisters - they have been so kind to Chris and me. Today after ironing some dish towels and napkins Soeur Marie Bridget, who I normally work for and who knows a little English, passed me on to her other sister who feels very uncomfortable with the little English she knows. This sister never told me her name but I have seen her often. She showed me what she wanted for me to do with organizing some papers and putting them in a binder. Then every half hour or hour she'd come in and check on me. She started off telling me the word "arrangé" which means to organize or arrange. Then she said "J'arrange" - "I organize." Later she came back and said "J'arrange les papiers" - "I organize the papers."
When it was time for me to go, another sister who speaks very good English walked down the stairs with me and spoke to me first in French something like "Avez-vous eu une bonne matinée?" and then translated, "Did you have a good morning?" and I saw that she was trying to help me learn French. All that to say, I think I should learn French and my reason won't be so much because I'll use it in the future, but because I know French people now and don't they matter enough to work at it? They're working on their English with me and putting themselves out there, making themselves uncomfortable so that they can communicate with me. Sœur Marie Bridget was very shy about her English at first but she always says to me "Good Morning" or "Good Evening" and "How are you?" So, while I feel pretty overwhelmed by the language, I think I'm just going to work on it a little bit at a time every day and I'll try not to focus on the largeness of it. And then I have such nice safe environments to practice it - with the sisters at church and then also in my art class on Wednesdays. So, we'll see how it goes ...
Good for you, Marianne! Sounds like such a unique experience! I love keeping up with you (living vicariously) through your blog!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Marianne! That takes courage!
ReplyDeleteWe love reading your blog.
Ryan and Darrah